Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Identifying Potential Target Behaviors



I don't know about y'all, but I have had my fair share of students with behavior issues. I've really never known how to change that behavior, or even where to start. Thankfully, I took a course in Applied Behavior Analysis this summer, and while I am certainly no expert, I did gain a little insight into the world of people with behavior issues. We covered several interesting topics, but probably the most valuable to me was the section on identifying potential problem behaviors. We can't change a behavior if we can't decide on one we want to change!!!

Now, where to start? First, think about your student. Observe them, and if you are the special education teacher, have the general education teachers observe them as well. Write down your observations and take notes. You can use the sheet below or create your own. After a week, or a few days, gather everyone together to go over what behaviors you think are the most problematic. Choose ONE behavior to target. Make a goal that encompasses this behavior, but is not too frustrating for the student.

Now, sometimes we just don't get along with our students. It's true. There may, in fact, be a kid that you absolutely clash with. Differences of opinions are not problem behaviors. Don't pick on a student just because you just don't mesh well.

This is obviously not nearly as in depth as a certified analyst might produce, but for most situations, it will be just dandy. I will work on creating a behavior chart and giving some examples of reinforcement schedules for next time.

Have a good rest of the week!



Identifying Target Behaviors

No comments:

Post a Comment