Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Irregular Verbs

Recently, my middle schoolers began a segment on irregular verbs. These can be challenging for anyone, even me, so I decided to make things fun. First, students cut out an extensive list of irregular verbs that featured the infinitive form, past and present tense, and past and present participles of multiple verbs. These lists were pasted into their journals, along with a few notes. Next, I had students pick out two verbs, one they felt confident with, and another they weren't too sure of. We used these two verbs to help make our foldables.




Each student's foldable ended up looking something like this.


There are multiple versions floating around on Pinterest, but I took the format and made it to fit my needs. It was easy to create the table and merge the cells, so if you aren't looking to buy one, make your own! After working with these for a day or two, I let my students play "I Have. Who Has?" using irregular verbs. This game is on sale in my TN shop for $2.00. If features all the verb forms that are listed on the foldable above. 



Keep in mind, I completed these activities with middle schoolers. Certain verb tenses are too advanced for younger students, but there are lots of fun ways to teach irregular verbs. Check out Pinterest or even Google images for ideas!

Happy teaching!

2 comments:

  1. Very Clear and informative blog...its very useful for me..
    ACC 561 Individual Assignment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I post sporadically, but I am trying to work on that!

      Delete